Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Danger! Danger!

Every once in a while it happens. This urge strikes me. I don't know what it is, but it happens and I have no control over it. I'm never quite happy with the way my furniture is arranged. I always think another way would be better....therefore, I'm constantly changing things around. An end table here, a chair there, or sometimes, all the furniture in any given room. Living room, bedroom, patio, whatever - I just have to move it!

But, every so often I get crazy! Not only do I hate the way everything is arranged, I hate everything I have. That time is now. Keith hates when it's that time. The urge is striking, and here's what I want to do about it.



As you can see by the above picture, my kitchen is sort of divided in two sections. One where the appliances/cabinets and island are, and the other where the table and hutch is. Well, I want to change all that....tell me what you think of my idea.
I want to make my island about 12" deeper (ah, if only Bert were here), so that I can fit 4 stools around it. Then, I want to take my table and hutch and move them to part of my big family room (which has more than enough room to hold them). That would leave the wood-floored-section of my kitchen empty. What I want to do is make it into a little sitting room. I want to get some old, second-hand, comfy chairs or maybe a loveseat and put a tv in there and have it as sort of a gathering spot. For some reason, I'm really into the idea of regular, upholstered furniture in the kitchen. Not only would this look good, in my humble opinion, it would also be practical.

If Braden has a friend over, or JJ's here and they're watching a movie in the family room, Keith and I could sit in there and watch TV without being banished to the bedroom. And, when my family all comes over for holidays and whatnot, they could sit comfortably in there and I can still be part of the conversation while I'm busy in the kitchen.

So tell me, does it sound good?
Oh, and by the way, Hi Susan if you're reading this.

8 comments:

doreenmary said...

Your home has the same colors as mine. It looks great. Schell, I've heard it said that the reason we (especially women) move furniture around is that it psychologically gives us a sense of control. If you think about it, you might correlate this to something happening right now (maybe at your job, with a friend, etc. - that you're frustrated with). I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it's an interesting concept. No?

UrbanStarGazer said...

Interesting idea. Could be pretty cool.

Meme said...

yes except get old leather not material cos hte material will soak up the smell of everything you cook in the kitchen and food will get spilled and leather is much easier to clean

The Broards said...

wtf is Susan? Your big-boobed sis?

I love the colors you have---some of your Dad's love of painting rubbed off on you :)

Sonya said...

My kitchen is almost exactly that same color. But I want to change it. I just don't know to what. We're going to repaint the livingroom and kitchen in the fall. It's been almost seven years and I'd like to freshen things up.

I like your idea and it sounds very practical. Why not use the space the way you'd like?

Mrs.B said...

I think it has more to do with the beginning of summer vacation than any kind of depression. I do the same thing every year. I'm itching to paint all of my house right now. How will you make the island deeper, just a bigger top? I think it will look awesome as a sitting room. Oh, and if this shows up twice, sorry.

schell said...

Yeah, Tracee....just a bigger top. I don't know if I want to replace the whole top, or if I can just add on to it, and cover it with something.

Sonya said...

I think it would be more practical to replace the whole top, rather than try to attach something.