Friday, June 23, 2006

It was sooo good to see JJ yesterday. He went swimming for a bit with Keith and Braden, then we ate and left for the game. He can't go to Keith's company picnic on Saturday, because he already planned a visit home to see his aunt, but they said Robert can come with us, and JJ can come up and spend next weekend here. He was beaming! We were beaming!

While we were at the game, Braden saw one of my ex-students. Whenever he runs into Braden, he starts rough-housing with Braden, which Braden loves. Throwing him in the air, and stuff. Anyway...this kid was throwing Braden in the air, and then missed him coming down and Braden fell and landed wrong on his arm. We had to leave the game at half-time to take Braden to the emergency room. Luckily there were other people from the Home at the game, so we arranged for JJ to ride home with one of them. We went to the hospital, and sure enough, both of the bones in his forearm are broken. I have to take him to the orthopedic guy this afternoon for a cast. He wants a hot pink one.

Now, this is really putting a crimp in my book-group plans. I was planning on spending all day baking/cooking and straightening up. Now I have to drive an hour to the doctors, who knows how long it will take once we're there, and then an hour back. I hope the book group girls don't mind frozen appetizers.

I'll post a picture of Braden and his cast later. Oh, and he's really eating up all the extra attention. "Mom, can you get me this?", "Mom, can you do this for me?" Sadly, it's his right arm, and he's right handed. He just better not ask me to wipe his ass!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of Richard's nephews, when he was a kid, fell out of the bunk bed and then went to wake up his mom (Richard's sister) with "Mom, my arm hurts". She sent him back to bed; the next morning at breakfast she saw his arm (he was trying to pour the milk for his cold cereal left-handed) and said, "OMG, what happened?" and he said, "I fell out of the bunk bed, and came to tell you, and you sent me back to bed." She took him to the ER, and his arm was broken. Talk about guilt...

Tell Braden to milk this for all it's worth!

UrbanStarGazer said...

Sounds like Braden's taking it well. :) Bummer for the Summer though. No swimming, etc.

When I was 3, a friend of my father's used to throw me in the air and catch me by my feet as I came down and one day, sure enough, he missed. Landed right on my head. Surprisingly all it did was give me a big bump.

UrbanStarGazer said...

In regards to the ass-wiping comment . . .

H and I were just talking about this the other day. About which hand people normally wipe their ass with. He contends that "everyone" uses their non-dominant hand -- e.g., a right-handed person uses their left hand and vice versa -- and I disagreed.

Any comments?

schell said...

Guess what? They have water-proof casts now! It only cost me an extra $50, but it's well worth it.
Oh, and I use my dominant hand.

Sonya said...

dominant hand rules

Anonymous said...

Woohoo on the good news about JJ, and sorry to hear about Braden's arm--though he sounds like he is coping well enough.

Go buy frozen cream puffs and eclairs (Wallyworld should have them)--the book club ladies will love them--even if they are half frozen! (these never survive a school function)

UrbanStarGazer said...

Allan -- That was H's argument too, the Muslim thing. I reminded him that we're not Muslim.

UrbanStarGazer said...

p.s. Sorry, Schell, for making your post about ass-wiping.

Anonymous said...

so did you let keith get his leg over?