Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Summer dreams ripped at the seams"

I can't believe the summer has come and gone. Well, not technically, but for me. I go back to work in two days. Where did the time go? JJ started his two-a-day football practices this week, meaning I've had to get up at 6:am....So, that part won't be so bad, I'll kind of be used to it.

My book group meets Friday night. I look forward to it, as I enjoy spending time with these ladies. We had to read "Water for Elephants" which I really didn't want to read, but found myself loving. If you haven't read it, I recommend it.

Yesterday I had two girls from the Children's Home over to swim. I met them when I was asked to transport them to a supervised visit with their mother. One is 11 and the other just turned 13. They started calling me Aunt Michelle after the second transport. The 13 year old is very needy. All day yesterday, "Aunt Michelle this, Aunt Michelle that." Their foster mom dropped them off at about 1:00, and I practically had to kick them out at 8:00. "We don't want to go. Can't we stay longer? Can we come back tomorrow? Can we come and live with you? We love it here." I explained that there's not enough room for them to live here, but even if they did, they wouldn't love it as much. They asked me to be their foster mom, even though I know the one they have is a darn good one. I told them it would be better if I were just their foster aunt (especially since that what they call me anyway). The 11 year old goes to school with afro's daughter, so I had her over too. I haven't watched young girls interact since Renee was young. Now I'm surrounded by boys and what a difference! "Eww, Aunt Michelle, there's a bug in the pool!"

Today I have to do laundry, and clean my car, inside and out. It's a mess.

2 comments:

Clank Napper said...

Could you be my foster aunt too? I would be quite happy sleeping on your kitchen floor for a couple of weeks.With my whole family of course. I could do with a free holiday to the US :o)

schell said...

C'mon over!