Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"Gimme a head with hair, long beautiful hair, Shining, gleaming,Streaming, flaxen, waxen"




Yesterday was Braden's birthday. 14. He had a Airsoft/swimming party. About seven kids showed up. Now, I know it's supposed to be about spending time with your friends on your special day, but only one kid showed up with a card for him. He was so disappointed. He had planned what he was going to buy with the money he'd get from his guests. He handled it way better than I thought he would/could. I would never send Braden to a birthday party empty handed. JJ and his friends built a huge bunker at the edge of the woods last week, and they played "capture the flag" with airsoft guns, but they actually played "capture the sprinkler". I could hear them yelling, "we have the package, get it to the base stat!"

I have an appointment today to get my haircut and colored. I haven't had anything professionally done to it in a few years, since I've been letting it grow. It's past my shoulders now. I always want long hair...it's so versatile. I can wear it up, or down. Throw it in a ponytail when I wake up. I want to get some layers cut in it, because it's so long now that the only way I can wear it down is competely straight. I was looking online for pictures of long layered hair, and the only pictures I really liked were of short hair. Now I'm torn. Do I cut off two years worth of "growing out", to get the short cut I really like the best, or do I just stick with my original plan of layers. I know the logical answer is to get the layers this time, then if I'm still not happy, go with a shorter cut. But, I'm far too rash for logical thinking. I keep looking at the picture I printed and love it more each time. Is it wrong that I can type more about my hair, then about my son's birthday? Pros to short hair: less time in the shower, less shampoo/conditioner, less time drying/straightening/curling. Pros to long hair: versatility. I know that's only one pro, but it's a biggie to someone who likes change as much as me. Although if I could only wear it one way, it would cut down on one decision I have to make every morning before I go to work. I'm thinking about Tracee while I type this, because I imagine she would just make the decision and get the most cutting edge haircut, and color, without so much as a second thought.
******Update...the picture on the top is the picture I was originally talking about, but I've since found the picture on the bottom...I think I'll go with that one (first anyway). ********

I hope some of you read this blog before I have to go to my appointment at 2:30.

Oh, and my kitchen isn't finished yet. Don't ask.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing my mother always told me - have long hair while ou can - you have plenty of time iin your old age to have the benefits of short hair - enjoy the long hair now. - blu

Anonymous said...

Youre right- I would. And then a few hours later I would totally second guess myself and regret it.
I told my hairdresser I was trying to grow it out, but needed some style added. So she gave me long layers and it actually looks longer than it was before the cut. Your problem is that you look so good long or short. Some people can only wear it one way, not gorgeous Schell. I vote for the layers this time, and the short haircut in another week if youre still thinking about it. But then again, fuck it, if you keep looking at that short haired pic, just do it, your hair grows fast.
I'm glad I was here to help.
-T

Anonymous said...

True, I look horrid with short hair, it could be to the three chins I developed. - blu

Anonymous said...

i don't really care about hair. mine won't really curl and if i dye it, it always ends up orange. it grows fast too. in april or may i had it cut to my shoulders for easier care and now it's past my shoulder blades. clips, barettes etc. fall out of it often and hairbands hurt my head. plus, i just don't care enough to take time inthe am to put several different products in it and do something with it. i'd rather sleep in. i don't get it cut short because it's hard to find someone who is good at cutting it short and not making you look like you're getting boy's hair and i'm just not a person that would look good with short hair. however, there is an age when women should cout their hair short and stop pretending that they can pull off long hair. i also hate it when i see someone with long hair and have of it's dead or fried beyond hope from bleach or other treatments. it's like seeing a guy with a nullett, it's just wrong and annoying.

jilly

Bert Bananas said...

the one time I grew my hair long I ended up cutting it all off. I pulled it into a ponytail, hacked it off and made a fly-swisher, which I attached to an arrow-sized stick and presented it to my wife. She lovingly threw it in the trash. Women are so special when it comes to emotions.

The Broards said...

I like the one on top---the bottom one looks like an updated Carol Brady mullet.

Schell, to be honest, I don't give a rat's ass about your hair. Sorry. Just keepin' it real.

I was sorry to hear that Braden's friends are tightwads. When he was little I'd always send Liam to parties with at least a card and ten bucks inside.

schell said...

What I got is actually a cross between the two pictures...and coloring similar to the bottom picture, except without the highlights. I'll add them in the fall. Thanks for all your help deciding.
Oh, and Keep-it-real-Emma, I dont' really care about you and your hairdresser you love so much either...so there!

UrbanStarGazer said...

Maybe they didn't realize it was a birthday party? If that's not the case, whatta buncha jerks -- kids and parents.

The hair thing . . . I'm not a good one to ask cuz I go through the same machinations. When I was a teenager, I wore it straight and long. In my 20s I was experimental cuz a friend was going to beauty school and I let her practice on me. My hair grows really, really fast. In my 30s I have two styles that I really like and pretty much kept those until recently when . . . I'm just too busy and lazy to get to the salon.

Everytime I go to a new stylist and I tell them my hair grows fast they say, "Everyone thinks their hair grows fast" and then . . . I come back for a second appointment and they understand. The gal who used to highlight my hair (when I used to highlight it) said that I was the only client she allowed to come more than every 6 to 8 weeks (I got to come every 3 to 4) cuz my hair grew so fast.

So, that all said -- I used to be pretty capricious with my decisions about my hair cuz I knew it would grow out fast if it sucked. I also, as a teenager, used to wonder why my boyfriend's mother bothered to have really long hair that she wore up in a bun every single day. I figured if she were going to wear it up, why not just cut it off?

And here I sit, with hair almost down to my waist cuz I've been too busy and lazy to get it cut. And what do I do? I wear it up. Not in a bun but 99.8% of the time it is up in a clip or ponytail or braids or something.

In my defense, my hair is thick (my sister-in-law commented, the other day, that I had hair enough for 10 people -- not true) and super super super straight. It's also slippery so most things fall out of it and it has absolutely no body what-so-ever so I've never had many options. Also, I'm too impatient to fiddle with it everyday. I want to wash and go.

So, after all that blather, my bottom line with my hair has always been: 1) I need to be able to put it in a ponytail; and 2) I need to be able to wash it and go.

UrbanStarGazer said...

p.s. What did you end up doing?

Clank Napper said...

Please post new hair pics asap.

I hate pennypinchers.They should be boiled in oil.

The Broards said...

"I dont' really care about you and your hairdresser you love so much either...so there!"

Haha . . her name's Kasey and hopefully she'll be back from maternity leave cause my roots are waaaaaaaay a different color than the rest of my hair

UrbanStarGazer said...

Happy Birthday, Braden!!!

Jenny Robin said...

dammit, schell, post something new