Friday, February 17, 2006

How do you mend a broken heart...

I just got a call from the Children's Home. It seems some boys have been sneaking out at night and helping themselves to a Children's Home van and going joy riding. I was aware of this, because two boys were caught doing this last weekend, and one of them is a student at my school.
But, the man in charge of the foster program called this morning to tell me that it has just come to light that JJ, my JJ, was now added to the list of offenders. He was taken away to the Juvenile Detention center last night awaiting his arraignment.
I feel like I've been punched in the stomach. The man I spoke to knows nothing more, no one is allowed to speak with him until his arraignment on Tuesday. FIVE DAYS FROM NOW! He says they're all shocked there, because this certainly does not seem like something JJ would do.
I can't believe he would do this. I'm experiencing such a roller coaster of emotions right now. My poor JJ sitting in juvey. Stupid JJ, how could you do something you know is wrong? How could you not tell me? There must be some explanation....you were framed, you were coerced. I can't believe you would be involved in something like this. We were so close to bringing you here. Just a couple of more weeks. Now, I don't even know if we'll be allowed to have him. I still want him. Maybe I don't want him. Keith probably won't want him. He should have had more love and guidance and good role models growing up. How could those imbeciles in charge of watching these boys at the Children's Home not be aware of what's going on at night? It's the home's fault for letting minimum wage workers be in charge of 12 teenagers. Stealing, um, borrowing a car isn't the worst thing a teenage boy could do, right? There are probably tons of teenagers that have done the same kind of shenanigans and grown up to be successful adults. Are you nervous and scared about coming to live here, is that why you did this? Are you trying to test us? To see how much we care about you? Are you trying to show that you don't think you're worthy of our affection? You were so excited last weekend, picking out your new bedding and paint color for your room. You were going to help me paint it this weekend.
This doesn't change how I feel for this boy one bit. I know I've only known him since September, but it feels like much longer. This only makes me want to hug him, to comfort him, tell him everything will be okay. Then yell at him and say, "how could you?". Then hug him again.
I know if he did this, or was involved in it, he has to face his consequences. I'm all for that. How else will he learn the seriousness of what he's done? I just hope that the consequences don't include him having to stay at the Children's Home and not being about to live with us.
Fortunately for me, I have a connection. A guy I work with is in charge of all the students we have on probation. He's trying to get a message to JJ for me. "Tell the truth. We're thinking of you. I'll talk to you as soon as I can."

10 comments:

Jenny Robin said...

Wowsers. Sure it's wrong to steal a car and go joyriding. The physical danger seems to outweigh the theft part, in my mind. Unexperienced drivers can hurt or kill themselves or others.

But the kids probably did it because they know it's wrong...and they knew they'd get attention by doing it.

Anonymous said...

I will keep you and JJ in my prayers, Schell...hang in there!

schell said...

UPDATE UPDATE
I just talked with JJ's case manager...he spoke with JJ and with the police officer that questioned him...JJ says he wasn't involved. He only saw the boys fleeing the scene after they crashed the van into a guard rail. The police officer believes JJ's story 75%, the only part he thinks is suspect is he believes JJ knows more about what happened then he's telling. But, of course, there's a code among the boys at the children's home...don't be a snitch. Now, someone has to convince him to tell all he knows. And, it can't be me as I'm not allowed to see him until his arraignment. His case manager thinks the other boys included JJ because they're jealous that he's getting to leave the home. What a mess. I still feel sick...maybe even sicker now, knowing he's in there that long when he most likely didn't even do anything.

The Broards said...

Schell,
JJ is very lucky to have you and your family!

Anonymous said...

At this point, the main thing is for you to pray, and to hope that the one person who is actually allowed to talk to JJ before the arraignment lets JJ know that you still love him. I wonder if they will let you take a banner to that effect into the courtroom, so that JJ sees it when they lead him in? Probably not, but it's a thought...

doreenmary said...

((((Schell))) Thinking of you and hoping all works out favorably.

Anonymous said...

he's keeping the keys to other stolen vehicles in the room he doesn't want you going near when he's not around.

Catz said...

Anonymous,that wasn't funny.

(((schell))),you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Neither is naivetee, JP.

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

{{{{{{Schell}}}}}} I have a good friend who worked in Juvenile Detention.... She cared very much for the kids that were there and helped them through the difficult adjustment of confinement. I pray that JJ has people there that care even half as much as my friend. Having someone as caring as you on the outside gives JJ such hope.