Saturday, February 03, 2007

"Our house, was our castle and our keep"

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement in my last post.
I've given it all a great deal of consideration, and have sent Braden off to boarding school. A very strict one. Until he starts "behaving" he'll be fed nothing but bread and water. We're not allowed any contact with him for six months, so my life will be a breeze. Also, I made Keith beg for sex for about three hours last night, and just when he thought I was about to give in, I told him that I want a divorce. So, thanks to all the helpful advice I've received here, my life is looking on the sunny side for once. You people should get paid for this! Some of you in particular, and you know who you are - don't be modest, should start an advice column in a highly circulated newspaper. Who knows what it could lead to.

Seriously, though...

I've been doing a lot of online research about these rages. As I mentioned before, we've been experimenting with medicine...however, we just keep changing his bipolar medicine (and when I say we keep experimenting, it's not that he's changed pills fifty times, he's only had two changes...we just change doses...but, you have to wait weeks each time before you can really see if it's making a difference). We haven't tweaked his ADHD medicine because that's been working great for him. Very little fidgeting and off-task behavior at school. But, I read that sometimes the stimulant in these medicines can cause these rages in kids with a dual-diagnosis. So, I took it upon myself to stop giving Braden his afternoon Concerta, and other than the episode early Wednesday afternoon, he's been much improved. His whole general mood is better. He's bouncing around quite a bit, and much more talkative than usual, but his anger/frustration has been in check. And today, since it's the weekend, I only gave him half of his usual morning doseage. Last night, for exampple, he wanted to go to a friend's house, but it was snowing and I said I wasn't going to take him anywhere. He stormed out of the room saying, "you suck". But, five minutes later, he came back in and said he was sorry for getting so angry. So far, so good. I know it's only been two and a half days, but I have a good feeling about this. He's been saying please and thank you. He's been accepting no with just the slightest arguement (and show me a 13 year old that doesn't give that), and he just doesn't seem as "on edge" as he's been. My fingers are crossed that it keeps going that way. We'll have to see.
If this change continues to show promise, and he becomes more stabilized, we can start working on the small things that we've been letting slide. And, the way I feel right now, if his teachers start complaining that he has a hard time staying in his seat, or staying focused...tough shit. Deal with it.
Anyway, I'm feeling much better about things right now. My guard isn't down, but it's just on stand-by. I can feel my shoulders relaxing a bit.

Thanks again for listening, it means a lot.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

My fingers are crossed for you I hope it all keeps going in the right direction
alex

Anonymous said...

B-12 will reduce his hyperactivity and increase his impulse control. Do you have a good doctor to help with dosing supplements.

Most ADHD type kids are loaded with metals. They improve as the metals are removed.

Anonymous said...

Your life almost sounded good but then I realized you were kidding. And so, here we go again...

schell said...

How do you remove metals?

Anonymous said...

With a court marshal of course . allan

Roger said...

Sending good thoughts your way, Schell.

R

UrbanStarGazer said...

Kinda scary that his doctors never put that together.

Anonymous said...

Doctors rarely seem to put things together when it comes to drug interactions and the like. When I was pre-diabetic, my doctor put me on a cholesterol medicine whose major side effect was that it raised blood sugar--How surprising that soon after I was diagnosed as being full-blown diabetic?

Fingers and toes and all I have two of crossed for you and Braden.

Anonymous said...

Btw, I just recognized that song as "Our House" by Madness--very subtle :-)

Anonymous said...

theres a man who looks as good now as he did when he was a young thing suggs has aged incredibly well

Anatole David said...

Parents have become pussies. they feel they have to earn respect--etc--Instead of enforcing discipline---which is a part of Love--and not very easy--it does take work---Drugs not hugs? Vile--Im disgusted by this marmalade fest---Weak willed parents with the inability to stick with disciplining a child-----ADHD is nonsense--a Pharmacopaland illness whose panacea is PILLS PILLS! The right mixture! Too much metal in the body! CHRIST! Sounds like Medieval medicine--without the Bile--and absent of the Ethos---Quit your kid, Schell--then quit your husband--break any vow--seek solace in running away--or maybe there's a "sickness" to tag on it! So then there's a pill! Allan's right--the pooh poohers are vile--like outsiders watching Nazi Doctors experiment while cheering them on--I feel sorry for the kid--A few good ass beatings and he'd have been fine--Parents need to draw lines--Kids need to know them--It's not as simple as it sounds.

The Broards said...

Childless people should be prohibited(under penalty of death) from giving child rearing advice

Anonymous said...

Kal has a few kids , nice looking wife too . He ran a picture of his family once . They looked like a perfect family right out of an Andrew Wyeth painting . He even mentioned the young boys are helping out at the tire shop learning to fix leaks and install air stems . Kals a smart guy . One day the kids will take over the shop and he can retire with his beautiful wife and travel the world , allan

Anonymous said...

First you need to test his metals levels. You can do that through your doctor if you have one that listens, or you can order a test here: http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/testkits.html or at any other lab and do it yourself. Force your doctor to interpret the results for you, or fire him.

If he's loaded with metals, you can move them through a process called chelation or through a low-oxalate diet.

You should also have him tested for candida. He is probably off the charts for yeasts.

Getting rid of metals and yeast is not fun. They regress and get even worse for a period. Then they improve incredibly quickly after the "dumping" or "die-off" period.

Anonymous said...

I agree DR Bidet 100 percent and while shes at it Schell needs to have the boy get a high colonic and all thngs considered she should get on for herself . Y , cut the crap with your nutty metal thing . Your boy has just gotten worse with all your bogus chelation crap and yes I know what chelation is . . You are probably always at him like some black widow spider and thats the real problem . allan