Wednesday, November 29, 2006

"The cats in the cradle and the silver spoon..."

Those of you who seem to find more to say when things aren't going as well as may be expected will enjoy this post.
As I said in my last post, we do our big Thanksgiving dinner on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. So, I had 22 people coming to eat at my house. I spent all day Friday decorating and cleaning. Saturday I cooked and cleaned some more. Sunday, I was up at the crack of dawn doing yet more cooking and cleaning.
You may recall that we have two cats. Ed and Fat Joe. We got them at the same time from some rescue agency. Ed is very personable and a people person. Fat Joe...not so much. He basically hides in the basement, eats and shits. Every once in a while Braden was able to get Fat Joe to sit with him for ten minutes and be petted. As long as Braden went to the basement.
Sunday morning I went down to feed the cats, and Fat Joe didn't come running. Very unusual. I looked around, and he was just laying there. I didn't think too much of it. But a short time later, I heard him making this very strange meow. I went down, and he was still laying in the same spot, but it looked like he was trying to move, but couldn't. Well, to make a long story short, I had to prepare a dinner for 22 while a cat was in my basement dying, and Braden was a wreck. He kept going down and checking on him, crying.
Fat Joe passed away around 8:00 that night. Braden was inconsolable. He tried to give him mouth to mouth and cpr. He was holding him saying, "Come back Fat Joe." He cried and cried and cried. Then he said, "I'll have to get a new cat now." Through his tears, I told him that we'd go to the SPCA and see what they had. This made Braden feel a little better, and he soon cried himself to sleep.
Monday, we went and walked into the "cat room". We wound up getting this beautiful, black maine coon-type cat. He has the softest fur. He loves to be held and rubbed. It was a miracle we didn't leave with more, because they all looked so needy.

10 comments:

sparky said...

Maine coon cats are great schell and as we discussed in the book schelf the night the cat was dying it was probably a good experience for Braden to deal with the dying cat and he seemed to do just fine. Best of luck with the new cat . allan

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear abou the cat, Schell, but as Sparks says Maine Coons are great--they're companionable. I'm not allowed in the catrooms of a shelter...

The Broards said...

Poor Braden.

How did Ed take it?

How did your dinner turn out?

Any leftovers.


"I'm not allowed in the catrooms of a shelter..." lol

The Broards said...

" He tried to give him mouth to mouth and cpr. He was holding him saying, "Come back Fat Joe." "

That's the saddest thing

sparky said...

Schell I was just thinking about something concerning Fat Joe. You had told me he was only 4 years old when he died and hadn't seemed sick till the day he was dying . Please make sure there aren't any poisons in your basement that cats can get into including car anifreeze, rat poisons , insecticides etc . I wonder what killed that cat . for a cat to just drop dead at 4 with no prior illness is pretty unusual, Just a thought .

sparky said...

three days locked in a drawer wouldnt do much to a cat generally . See te story of the cat in the shipping container for way longer ( 9 days? 2 weeks? ) she probably slept most of the time which is all cats do anyway . allan

Anonymous said...

Poor Braden and poor Schell; I hope that everyone adjusts quickly to the Maine Coon cat. They are big, friendly cats, and so long as they aren't too purebred, they are pretty non-neurotic.

Anonymous said...

We can we see a picture of the new arrival? and does he have a name?

Anonymous said...

I havent actually read this post but I am responding nonetheless. It appears to have something to do with cats. I have no real opinions about cats.

schell said...

I find it hard to believe that you're really Nag, because Nag has an opinion on everything...cats included, I'm sure.