Friday, August 04, 2006

"It's late September and I really should be back at school"

The family reunion went surprisingly well. I saw relatives I wouldn't have recognized if they would have knocked on my door. Everyone said they were glad we decided to do it, and we should make it at least a yearly thing. There were no fights. There were no drunks. There was, however, a funny game of basketball where all the men (mid 40's to 50's) decided to play with the kids (14-21)...I thought for sure the ambulance would be needed.
We've been settling in here. JJ is getting more and more comfortable. Which is great. The honeymoon period with him and Braden is over though, as they sometimes argue. Actually, Braden argues, JJ just says, "yeah you're right", which really pisses Braden off. All in all, everything's going well.
The other day we were driving through town and a group of daycare kids was taking a walk, holding hands. "Why are they all holding hands," Braden asked. "Because it's a daycare, and they want to keep the kids together," I told him. Braden said, "Daycare? It's more like Gaycare!"
Our cell phone plan is up the end of August and we have to decide if we're going to stay with Verizon or switch to Cingular. We don't have a problem with Verizon, and Keith gets a company discount with them, but most everyone we know is Cingular, so I'm thinking all the "in network" calling would make up for the discount.
Soon it will be back to school shopping. Then, back to school itself. There's talk that our school district will be striking this fall. What am I going to do with Braden and JJ when I go back to work and they don't have school? The 18th is my first day back, and the kids supposedly start on the 28th. Please don't strike, please don't strike, please don't strike.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

my good friend who just had a baby named him Braden. (please don't strike)

sparky said...

(strike this entry please)

The Broards said...

Schell & Spidey,

"Braden" must be getting to be a popular name. Before Schell, I'd never known a Braden, but now a lady who works with me has a three month old grandson named Braden. She babysat with him for a few days and brought him to work. He is an adorable kid.