Saturday, August 26, 2006

"It's been a while"

What a week! Back to work. Now, my house, which was clean all summer, is a mess. In one week. How can it happen so fast? I haven't blogged all week...everything's on the back burner, again.
The kids are mostly ready to go back. There's been a guarentee from Nazareth that they won't strike until at least September 21st, when they have a meeting to vote on the new contract. So, hopefully, there won't be a strike.
We took JJ for a haircut last night at a barber shop in Easton. Now, picture the barbershop from the movie, "Barbershop"...it was almost like that. Except, not nearly as big. It was fun just being there, listening to everyone. Keith and I were the only white people there.
The rules where I work have changed, and we can't wear open toed shoes anymore, so I had to do some shoe shopping...nearly all of my summer/early fall shoes are sandals, so I had to get new ones. Isn't it great to have an excuse to "have to" get new shoes?
Jj's been playing football on the freshman team. He's very good, but is only on second string. I hope it's just because he's new, and not because of his color. He's making friends with kids on the team though, which is really good.
Braden wanted those really tight jeans for back to school, so we got him a pair. He looks like he's starved in them. He's skinny to begin with, but at least with the baggier cut, it wasn't so obvious. His new look (and he always has one) is polo shirts and tight jeans.
The neigbor kid leaves today for his sophmore year of college. Last year, the mom was balling her eyes out the week before he left, and the week after he left. This year, she told me, she was counting the days till he leaves. What a difference a year makes.
Well, that's about it for me and my same-ole same-ole.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least Braden isn't into the jeans so big they fall off fashion trend. I am sick of seeing more of my students' underwears than I ever wanted to know about!

Anonymous said...

Well, at least Braden isn't into the jeans so big they fall off fashion trend. I am sick of seeing more of my students' underwears than I ever wanted to know about!

Anonymous said...

ooops browser glitched!

schell said...

Blt, make me!

The Broards said...

"we can't wear open toed shoes anymore,"

Thursday a woman I work with ran out of the bathroom screaming. Another girl was in the bathroom yelling that her big toenail flew off. Her foot looked raw and bloody. Seems she was wearing sandals and opened the bathroom door really hard and the door caught her unprotected toe and ripped off the nail. Her toenail was found about three feet away. Gross.

UrbanStarGazer said...

Emma . . . that's really sick.

Anonymous said...

OK, as loath as I am to ever agree with Blt, I do have to wonder about someone who gets their toenail stuck on a bathroom door? How the hell do you do that?

BTW I like Ruby the hedgehog.

sparky said...

I seriously doubt JJ's color is the reason he's on second string Schell. Winning is everything to these high school football teams and they will use the best people for a winning team regardless of race . Sure 50 years ago blacks were excluded because of color but that was a different world . My knowledge of football is limited but if i remember right the one place there is discrimination is the position of quarter back. A black quarter back was rare if it existed at all. The thinking behind this is (and this IS highly racist) that blacks weren't smart enough to play the position of quarter back and instead were used in positions that involved running, catching and finally scoring TDs. I have no idea if this type of thinking is still ascribed to in the sport now . I would hope not but some things change slowly . Things seem to be going well with JJ and I would venture a guess that you adopting him is and will be the turning point of his life . Good job Schell . Allan

sparky said...

What's "Cass Corridor"?

Anonymous said...

This joke was popular some years back, and it may still be:

Q. How can you tell the Louisiana girls on ski vacations in Colorado?

A. They're the ones wearing the open toed shoes.