Saturday, July 25, 2009

"How did ya' know I needed you so badly"

I really don't have much I have to do this weekend. I have to grocery shop. Maybe do a load of laundry. We'll play it by ear.
Tonight, as I mentioned in the post on the main page, I have my sister-in-laws graduation party. She wanted me to make something with peanut butter, so I'm making chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting.
And, I know my title isn't a song about chocolate, but the group is "Hot Chocolate".
I remember, before the surgeon general changed the food pyramid around and everyone became health conscience, we had some good school lunches. My school's lassagna was the best. So was the meatloaf and the spaghetti. But, my all time favorite was the chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. The cake was so heavy and moist, it was perfect with the peanut butter icing. I have searched and searched for a chocolate cake recipe that tastes like that one, but I haven't found one. Everytime I make a chocolate cake, I try a different recipe, so far without success. I've tried recipes with buttermilk, recipes with coffee, recipes with mayo...It's just elusive.
What was your favorite school lunch?

6 comments:

emma said...

I can't honestly tell you a favorite school lunch. I was a very picky eater when I as a kid. But I vividly remember the WORST school lunch---chipped beef on toast.
I went to a Catholic school and some of the nuns were mean. Sister Concepta would not let us leave the cafeteria/gym for recess until we ate everything on our plate. I sat there and sat there while she waited. That stuff was literally making me sick. It became a contest of wills. While she turned to talk to one of the lunch ladies, I stuffed that crap into my empty milk carton. When she returned to my table she said, "There. Now that wasn't so bad, was it?" and let me go outside,

Yes, Sister Concepta. It was that bad, And so were you.

Brenda said...

i can't think of any good school lunch either. but i also have a lunchroom horror story. it was winter, 8th grade, and i was wearing my new cool brown maxi coat. (remember those old broards)? on the menu was chicken ala king. blech. my mom bought me a lunch ticket for the whole week, so that was what i had to eat. it made me sick. plus i think it had peas in it. double blech. that wasn't the worst part. after i choked that mess down i ran outside. there i was acting all cool in my new coat. that was when one of the eighth grade boys came up to me and said..... who sneezed on your coat? i whipped it off and there all over the back of my new fantabulous coat was... chicken ala king!!!! to this day... i cannot eat that slop.

vq said...

I took a bag lunch all through school (PB sandwich and an orange, usually), but in high school I'd occasionally buy something in the cafeteria. Our school must've had access to vast quantities of government butter, because they made the BEST, most buttery shortbread cookies in the world. They were the size of a salad plate, and absolutely delish. I've never tasted a better butter cookie since. Wish I could find one like them.

Anonymous said...

the one thing I remember from a school cafeteria was english muffin pizza which I thought at the time wasn't all so bad and have since over the years actually made them myself. Not often but once every few years maybe, allan

UrbanStarGazer said...

When my mom would bring us McDonald's. :)

My favorite thing our school made was these things we called fudgies. They were dropped cookie things that were made of oats (like oatmeal) and were peanut buttery and chocolatey. I loved them. Still do. Years ago I found a recipe for something similar but I lost it. I'll have to search the internet for it.

UrbanStarGazer said...

Thank you for this post cuz it reminded me of fudgies and . . . I found a recipe and just made them!