Monday, March 24, 2008

"I picked a bad time to quit smoking"

What a week!
After spending last weekend mostly awake and at the hospital with Renee, I went back to work on Monday. I took personal days on Tuesday and Wednesday to be there when she came home from the hospital. That was nice.
I came home Wednesday night. Thursday night, Keith drove back up to bring her, BD, and Brighton down for Easter weekend.
Friday morning Keith went to have another cortisone shot in his back (he injured it at work about a month ago, he had 1 other shot a couple of weeks ago and it got better and better after that. The doctor wanted him to go for one more, then start physical therapy). He came home and was in terrible pain. He took a pain pill and a muscle relaxer and got no relief. We called his doctor, who was on a plane on his way to some exotic resort for Easter. He called back and said that sometimes these shots can lead to a flare up. Well, when Keith went to go upstairs to bed, his legs gave out and he wound up on the floor and couldn't get up. I resisted the strong urge I had to say, "quit being such a baby...get the hell up and get in bed." It was hard, but I resisted. After about an hour of him lying on the floor writhing in pain, I called an ambulance. They admitted him to the hospital and he had emergency back surgery yesterday morning. He had a huge herniation between L4 and L5. As long as he can get up and shower this morning, they'll be sending him home.
So, I had 15 coming for Easter dinner, I had to drive 2 hours each way to take Renee home last night and I had a husband in the hospital. What an Easter!
And to top it off, I started taking Chantix two weeks ago, and quit smoking. I could have strangled someone, anyone, all weekend. I felt like Lloyd Bridges in Airplane. Hence, the quote.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

still on the bright side he wont be after sex for a while or you can at least get away with just a hand job

schell said...

Don't think I haven't thought of that!

The Broards said...

Good Lord!!

Roger said...

My best wished to Keith.

As for the rest, that was way too much information.

Modestly,
R

Jenny Robin said...

I hope everything looks up soon. My best to you and Keith and Renee and all.

Bert Bananas said...

So the cortisone treatment was bullshit! Didn't they at least do an MRI? There may be some corporate-sponsored med-mal going on here. I bet the comp carrier nixed the MRI; who picked the doc? How could he/they have missed massive herniation?

The good news is that if he follows a proper rehab schedule, he should be back good as new and wanting to have sex standing up!

Anonymous said...

hey maybe you could sue and pay off the mortgage with the money and there might even be enough to get an au pair for keith

Anonymous said...

sorry for the yucky break.

i would have thought the "big baby" thing too but then felt so guilty afterwards. i cook one dinner a year, and that's thanksgiving. beyond that, we eat out or go somewhere else. i have too much family and too little patience to do it mroe than once a year.

i was ready to get up 4 hours after my c-section but they wouldn't let me. it's amazing how much better you feel and how quick you're ready to be up and about. good luck to you and keith

jilly

Sonya said...

What's going on? How's Keith?

Anonymous said...

louiville slugger bat bags shop online louis vuitton