Saturday, March 01, 2008

"Ii like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes..."

Renee called me yesterday in tears. She had a doctor's appointment and it didn't go very well.

The baby has hardly gained any weight in the last month. She's due in four weeks. His heartbeat was healthy and he showed no signs of distress, but she has to stop working and while her doctor didn't order bedrest, he did tell her that she should spend as much time as possible relaxing. And eating. She has to make herself half & half milkshakes, and eat as many high caloric foods as possible. He wants her to gain as much weight as she can. She has to go back for check-ups every three days, and if the baby isn't gaining much weight by March 14th, they're going to induce her. The doctor told her not to worry, there's nothing wrong with the baby, he just might be able to gain more weight outside of the womb.

Of course, she failed to hear the "don't worry there's nothing wrong with the baby" part and is a nervous wreck. We talked on the phone for hours last night and in the end she was fairly calm. I did tell her that most women in America would love to hear a doctor tell them to relax, lay around and eat eat eat!

Braden and I are driving up there today and staying until tomorrow.
She's moving out of her apartment into a larger twin house she's going to be renting. It won't be ready until the middle of the week, but it was supposed to be ready today. Another thing she's stressing over.

Between friends and relatives, she has all the big baby things she needs (crib, changing table, swing, etc), it's the small things she doesn't have. Blankets, clothes, etc. I keep telling her not to worry, she'll get it. I'm planning a baby shower for her, but I'm having it shortly after she has the baby...and now it seems that that's a good thing, timing wise.

She asked Braden to be the baby'g godfather, and he's so excited. He also came up with a name that both her and babydaddy like, Carnell. I'm not too thrilled with it, but it's not my baby to name. I was kind of partial to schell37, but she didn't want to hear anything of it.

6 comments:

Clank Napper said...

Is that nine months gone already since you told us??? Wow.

Tempus Fugit.

mavis sidebottom said...

I remember a really paranoid pregnant wmoan who I used to have long sessions with online convincing her her pregnancy was normal , Now her 5 year olds nearly as tall as her
Everything will be fine because this is the year everythign goes right for those of us who have had crap times of late I am convinced

Anonymous said...

Carnell? As in Carnell Knowledge?

Clank Napper said...

That was never me.

The Broards said...

I don't like the name Carnell. Is that a character on a soap?
tell Braden he can do better

Anonymous said...

schell, i have some stuff that's both boy and girl apprp. let me know what she needs and i can see if i have any and send it to you.

jilly