Saturday, September 08, 2007

"My country tis of thee...."

Well, the first week of school for Braden and JJ went off without a hitch. Unless you call me scrambling around every freaking night for yet MORE school supplies a hitch. The middle school sends home a letter a few weeks before school starts with a list of the supplies Braden will need for each class. Easy. High school doesn't do that. And, JJ doesn't have the same classes every day, so each day he'd come home and need more things. And, since he has football practice everyday after school, he doesn't get home until around 7:oo. For his engineering class he needed toothpicks, because they're building a bridge. Not just any toothpicks, but a specific brand. That was a fun night driving from store to store looking for Forester brand toothpicks. Engineering teacher, kiss my ass.
And, there seems to be a shortage of Book Sox around here. I've been to at least six different places and can't find them anywhere. Staples, KMart, Walmart, CVS, RiteAid, Dollar Store. I may have to resort to paperbag bookcovers.....if I even remember how to make them.

And now, for your entertainment, a few interesting responses from my students:
L, a 17 yr old in my class, loves to work on things. He's always taking bikes and go karts apart and fixing them. He told me he got a job over the summer working at a car garage near him. I said, "That's great, L, that's right up your alley." "No Miss," he replied, "it's a block up the road."
After the Miss South Carolina debacle, I made all my kids put their heads down and one by one walk up to the map and show me where the US was. The good news, they were all able to do it. Here's the bad news, the last one, my only girl, said, "I don't feel like getting up, but it's the green one on the map, right between Columbia and Mexico." Oh well.

During an Assessment test, I had to ask another boy the following question: How many ways are there to arrange 4 books on 1 bookshelf? After thinking about it for a while, he said, "By size, by color, alphabetically, and by genre." That one cracked me up. And I replied, "you know the word genre? I'm giving you credit for this one."

5 comments:

britters said...

http://www.booksox.com/ they have color change book covers! I actually get these for my hardback college texts because the less damage they have, the more money I get back.

We have to do assessments with the kids where I work and the other day, I was holding up a picture of a boy opening the door to a house with one hand, his foot out, stepping over the threshold and when I asked G what the boy was doing, G replied "he's having an epiphany." I really wanted to mark it right.

Anonymous said...

that's right up your alley." "No Miss," he replied, "it's a block up the road."
---

That's just cute!

--emma

Anonymous said...

the best i get is, "is jesse jackson michael jackson's brother you know, from when they were in that band together 40 years ago?"

schell, you didn't look online for the toothpicks to see who has them first? I hope JJ likes engineering classes.

jilly

Jenny Robin said...

That kid with the book question/answer is incredible! I used to joke with people that we organized books by pretty color, size and shape, number of words in the title.

Also, Borders has BookSox. At least we still do.

Rosary said...

Heck, I'm impressed he thought before answering. I wish some of mine would do that! And then giving a good answer!

I keep forgetting to mention how much I like that picture of JJ, Renee, and Braden on your blog :-) The one of you and the sibs is cute too.