Saturday, May 13, 2006

Happy Mother F-er's Day

Last night I went to see the comedian Rich Vos. He was very funny. I laughed so hard at times that the sides of my mouth hurt. In the crowd was a table of some of the people I work with...about four of them and their spouses/girlfriends. They were sitting pretty close to the stage, and one of them yelled something to Rich. Well, that was all it took. He picked on them for the entire night, unmercilessly. I was so glad I didn't sit with them. Plus, I got lots of great ammunition for work on Monday.
Keith and I had a discussion about his, how should I say this nicely, suckiness in the gift buying department. I brought up Christmas and the tickets he got me that he was told specifically not to buy. I brought up my birthday when I was just handed some cash. You know, he constantly teases me about wanting so many things. We'll see something in a magazine, "I would love that," I'll say. We'll be at the mall, "OOoh, now I'd like to have that." Etc. So, buying me a gift should be the easiest thing in the world, but NOOOOOOO! So, last night while I was at the show, he took Braden out shopping. When I came home I saw a Bath and Body Works bag on the table. WTF? He forgot my "NO LOTION NO PJ'S NO APPLIANCE" rule? How imaginative is fucking lotion? But, lest I be thought of as a bitch, I'll say thank you and smile. At least I'll get to go out, because we're taking my mom out for brunch.
Braden has a sleepover tonight, and Keith's working night shift as a favor to a friend, so I have the night alone. Pure bliss. JJ went to Philly to visit his aunt this weekend, as he promised he'd do. I gave him a little cash to pick her up a card. I've worked out an arrangement with his caseworker (the one who never, ever returns my calls). If we want to visit JJ, or have him come here....I call and leave a message. If I dont' hear back from the caseworker, I'm to assume that what ever I requested has been approved. That will definitely work in my favor. I still don't know when the fostering thing will come through, and I haven't heard a word from his Philly caseworker in weeks, and neither has JJ. SHe was so supportive in the beginning. I wonder what's going on there.

8 comments:

Jenny Robin said...

My mother had the same 'no appliance' rule, then gave my sisters and I appliances for Xmas the past few years. WTF?

I'm totally on your side in this.
Happy Mother's Day!

doreenmary said...

Rich Vos is very funny. Schell, I love your blog format!

The Broards said...

Bath & Body Works makes their money off of husbands and boyfriends. I hate that place.

Four times I tried to call my mother and wish her Happy Mother's Day. No answer. She must be out with Lexus Sister.

The no appliance rule reminds me of an I Love Lucy episode. Fred didn't know what to get Ethel for her birthday:

Lucy: Did she give any hints?
Fred: She said she wanted a new toaster.
Lucy: A NEW TOASTER???! You can't give your wife a new taoster for her birthday--you have to give her something frilly, something flirty.

So Fred gives Lucy some money to buy Ethel a gift that he could give her. Lucy buys these god awful "Hostess pants" in a harlequin design.

Ethel (opens the box): WHAT ARE THESE????
Lucy: Oh Ethel, I think they're kind of cute.
Ethel: Where would I wear THESE?
Lucy: They're hostess pants--for when you give smart dinner parties.
Ethel: Oh I wondered what I should wear to all those smart dinner parties we gave!!! I WANTED A TOASTER!!!

vq said...

I must be weird. I love appliance, and lotion and especially nighties.

(P.S. I specifically asked for--and got--some B&BW cherry blosson cologne for mother's day.)

schell said...

Verb, the lotion I got was Cherry Blossom.
And, I owe Keith an apology. I did get lotion, but he surprised me by also getting me a new digital camera to replace the one we lost while on our cruise.
We didn't take my mom out to brunch, because she fell off a chair (don't even ask) and broke her forearm. She spent mother's day in the emergency room. And, as any good children would do, we went to brunch without her.

Brenda said...

emma.... i love you. you can quote lucy shows and that is a special talent.

schell said...

I guess I had some sort of blinders on.

Jenny Robin said...

I like Bath & Body Works stuff too. It's my third favorite store; it's their creamy body wash that is wonderful.

Emma's getting coal for all her celebratory days going forward. Gnomes made out of coal, too.