Monday, August 17, 2009

Hate mongers

I am a tad bit annoyed. Actually a little more than that...
Braden has been in scouts for several years now, and he's trying to become an Eagle Scout. The "leaders" of his troup are tried and true conservative republicans. To each his own, right? But, it seems that every time any of them gets any kind of political/military/religious emails they insist on forwarding them to everyone on their mailing lists.
I find most of these emails to be the kind that are hate-inspiring scare tactics. They offend me. And, they're are usually from the head of the scout troup, but they can be from other members too. I'm never sure what the emails are...sometimes they send legitimate emails about special meeting or trips, so I open all of them. Then I'm stuck reading nonsense. Well, stuck reading it until I realize what it is and hit delete.
I think it's completely unprofessional for scout leaders to send emails about their personal views to me. In the past, I replied to them saying to please remove me from their mailing list, and to only include me in scout related emails. But, they still come.
Last night I got an email that's first line was:
"I didn’t vote for him either…but it looks like we’re stuck with this buffoon…..even for HIM, this is LOW!"
This wasn't the first line of the original email, but the line that the forwarder added to top. Again, I hit reply all, and asked to please refrain from sending me these types of emails. (so far I got one reply, saying that I shouldn't have "reply all"-ed it, but addressed the sender personally. I replied to her that I would have, but that person isn't the only one who sends these emails.).
I just don't understand people. I would never forward any type of political/religious/military emails to anyone unless I was certain they'd be interested in reading it.
What do you think? Am I right to be angry?

12 comments:

Brenda said...

yes, you are right to be angry and annoyed. however i don't think there is anything you can do. my uncle who is a republican and does not like obama forwards me crap all the time. the things that are so obviously untrue, i check it out on snopes or urban legends and forward it to him stating he needs to check out details before he forwards me crap. the other stuff.. i just delete.

Gail said...

I get these kinds of emails from one of our relatives all the time too. If I recognize what it's about from the subject line,I delete. I've checked out several items on snopes.com and forwarded it to him, but of course, get no reply. I've made my feelings VERY clear about Obama. etc. but it doesn't stop him from sending me the most awful stuff. I'm trying to consider the source and will continue to delete without comment in the future hoping he'll get the message, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bert Bananas said...

The internet makes people brave. Plus many of these people actually think they're doing you a favor because either you'll agree with them regarding the subject at hand or it will help open your eyes to the "truth." You can't reason with them; you have to put up with it or offend them sufficiently so they 'punish' you by cutting you off.

Life is weird, and then you get online.

emma said...

Schell, those scout leaders are not only "tried and true conservative republicans" but they are low life motherfuckers who don't understand simple requests.
Next time, reply "Hey motherfucker I've told you to take my name off of your email list except if the email contains legitimate Boy Scout stuff. I do not agree with your political views, and I do not want to read about your political views, so knock it off!"
I would also forward the whackjob emails to the national Boy Scout website with a request that they tell their scout leaders to cut the crap.
----
I seriously question your sanity Schell. Why would you want your son to be a part of such a misogynistic, homophobic tribe like the boy scouts? At least the girl scouts peddle cookies. What do the boy scouts peddle except crap repub views like that?

Jilly said...

emma,
boy scouts sell popcorn. my guy quit scouts riht before he could get his eagle award and several ofhis students have made eagle, so i've been to too many scout things and bought too much popcorn. i made it clear that no kid of mine is taking part in that crap.

schell, what did you expect out of a group that treats gay people like they do? i wouldn't expect a vast sea of understanding and diversity. that sia,d good luck to braden on working towards the eagle. it's a lot of work and considered ahigh honor to get it, and if he does, let me know, i'll send a gift.

KatyTried said...

So much boorish behavior these days.
I thought Scout leaders at least would aim a little higher.
No one trashed Nixon or Johnson while I was a scout.

schell said...

I really would rather he were not a scout. But, he really wants to be an Eagle Scout....he says it will help in get in to college, or look good on a resume....and it will. So, I'm not insane, Emma...

emma said...

Only the insane proclaims their sanity!

boogada boogada

Anonymous said...

when I was a young lad I joined the cub scouts but only lasted for a few meetings. Something told me there was something very wrong with the entire operation , maybe it was the wearing of uniforms or something ? In fairness I have to admit I also flunked ROTC in college after questioning the instructor over and over about "why the fuck a new tank costs 20 million dollars " and etc . I basically flunked because I never showed up at drill practice. the last big show of the year the instructor told me "if you don't show up you fail" So I said sure sure I'll be there and of course when the day arrived I instead went sailing. I failed but as luck would have it Hofstra that very year made ROTC a non requirement . allan

UrbanStarGazer said...

Funny, I'm a Republican and I never, ever send junk emails to anyone. However, every friend of mine who sends me ridiculous junk emails about stupid politics, etc., are all Democrats.

Rosary said...

I get stupid crappy emails from all sides myself. My godmother sends me holistic medicine emails, leftist emails, my students send me stuff from both sides, my colleagues do as well. I spend more time deleting things...

emma said...

Schell, This quote was on Spidey's blog---her random quotes.

A scout troop consists of twelve little kids dressed like schmucks following a big schmuck dressed like a kid.

--Jack Benny