Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"and no one heard at all not even the chair..."

I'm glad the holidays are over. Too much family time. Except for the getting-up-early part, I was glad to go back to work.

We have been scrimping and not spending for a year and a half now. It's driving me insane. We need new living room furniture so badly....the springs hit the ground on one of the chairs, the sofa has a huge rip in it that I keep trying to cover up with a throw, the ottoman is all misshapen. Plus it's big and ugly. A large furniture store here has been running a sale...no interest for three years and no payments for a year. (I figured in a year from now we'll either have had to sell the house and be living somewhere cheaper, or some of the lawsuits will have been settled.) So, I made Keith go with me and we picked out furniture. A sofa, loveseat and chair. I'm so excited! They're delivering it on Friday. The sofa and loveseat are tan...but a bright, golden shade of tan. They're corded microfiber. So comfy. And the chair is a brown suede recliner. But not your typical, bachelor style recliner. It looks like a regular chair. I can't wait to get it...and sit on it....and rearrange it! The pillows that come with the sofa/loveseat are brown with a faint design in them with tan/green/orange.

I have an antique chair that Keith's mom had reupholstered for us. It's a nice chair but the material she picked out is pink and blue flowers. It matches nothing in my house. A friend of mine from book group is going to bring her sewing machine up, we're going to pick out material and make some sort of slipcover for it to match the new stuff. She's going to try to teach me how to sew. I've never learned. I can do some hand things....buttons, hems, rips...but I've always wanted to learn to sew with a machine. There are so many things I can make...curtains, pillow covers, matching outfits for Braden and JJ.

7 comments:

Ded said...

"matching outfits for Braden and JJ."

I hope that makes Em's "tell me something funny" list. It made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

made me laugh too!

vq said...

Fun! I LOVE furniture. I'd be happy if I could refurnish my house every year. I can't think of anything more fun than furniture shopping--except maybe furniture rearranging! Savor and enjoy.

emma said...

I snorted at that line, Ded

Jilly said...

it made me laugh too. do not take a class to use the machine, they break it al down in a million expensive baby-step classes with homework that's hopeless to do alone, oh and they assume you 1) own the machine and 2) can thread and use the machine. if you ask for help doing 1 or 2, they tell you to read the instruction book. if the instruction book were helpful, why would i need a class?

schell said...

Verb, I'm so excited. I've gone over furniture arrangements a million times in my head!

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

I cannot remember the last time I bought anything new in the way of furniture. We did buy Maddie's baby crib and changing table new, and one crappy entertainment center.. oh and one cupboard for Maddie's playroom ... every one of those things is gone though... It was very exciting to get my two pieces recovered though. I guess that was like getting new furniture... I had been covering the holes in that sofa for 10 years LOL congratulations :)