Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Ice ice baby...."

We got out of school early on Tuesday, because of snow. [Sidenote: One of my students was doubting that we'd have an early dismissal, and wanted to bet me on it. After I told him that we couldn't bet money, we agreed on this - if we didn't get out early, I'd have to come to school on the next school day wearing clothes that didn't match. If we did get out early, he'd have to come in with his shirt tucked in and his pants pulled up to his waist. Trust me, his pants haven't seen anything above his behind in years. I WON!!! I can't wait to see if he follows through.] We had Wednesday off, because of ice and a two hour delay today because of ice. I'm starting to feel like Spidey, but it's due to ice, not snow. The kids are dying for a good snow storm. We've only had about three inches at a time here, and it's always followed by ice. It's hard to play in ice-covered snow.

I have book group tomorrow night, which I'm looking forward to. I may have mentioned this before, but we read "Ella Minnow Pea" and the author is phoning in. I'm looking forward to it, as I really enjoyed the book.

Nothing new on the mortgage front...it's still "be patient". Not exactly my strongest suit.

Braden had a girl from his German class over yesterday to bake something for their German Party. Why they were coming here, I don't know. She was supposed to bring the ingredients, and I was to provide the "hard goods" - oven, cookie sheets, mixer, etc. Then the day before, she asked Braden if she had to bring everything. I told him to tell her that I had all the baking basics...flour, sugar, eggs, etc. She showed up with this recipe for a German Black Forest cake. And that's it. The recipe called for a ton of ingredients that I didnt' have. So I scoured the internet and found a recipe for Berliner Pretzels. They are a shortbread cookie that you shape into a pretzel. You should see how some of the pretzels look...more like globs. The girl was very nice, and I could tell that Braden had a crush on her.

4 comments:

The Broards said...

Did the kid follow through with the drawers thing?

schell said...

Yes, he did. He tried to run away from me in the morning....but I taunted him. Then he hiked his pants up and they stayed that way most of the day.

Clank Napper said...

Did you get photos? I am glad he kept his promise. A bet is a bet.

schell said...

No photos. Privacy regulations and all that.