Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin

Sorry I haven't posted in a while...I'll bet you're all devastated.

A week ago Friday, I was making dinner, and I got up from the kitchen stool and something felt a little tingly in my back. No big deal, I thought. I'll put the heating pad on after dinner. Well, by the time we were done eating, I was in terrible pain. I wasn't able to get off the sofa until Monday, when the doctor called in script for pain pills and a muscle relaxer. Tuesday I went back to work, and it's much better now, but certain ways I move it still kills me. Sitting up is the hardest thing. I get this burning feeling in my hips, and down my thighs...and not in a good way. So, sitting at the computer hasn't exactly been tops on my list.

I took Braden for his EEG. I was so worried about having to get him up that early, and keeping him up. JJ offered to get up with him too, and thank goodness I agreed. They were playing video games at 4:30 in the morning. Around 6 we went out for breakfast, then walked around Walmart...even though my back was still killing me - but, it was better than the alternative. We went for the test, and I'm still waiting for the results.

We booked the trip for Jamaica. Two days later, the Children's Home calls to say that JJ is not allowed to leave the country. We've been telling them for months that we needed his birth certificate to get a passport. They don't have it, and even gave us the paperwork to apply for another one. It seems that the Home doesn't have a problem with him going, but DHS says that foster kids can't go outside the US, for fear that they'll be kidnapped by their foster parents. The Children's Home is trying to fight this for us, but I don't know what will happen. It's really a shame. Of course, we could go somewhere else, inside the US, but now we'll lose over $2300 if we cancel that trip. Talk about a quagmire. And, JJ's reaction: "Miss, you can't lose all that money because of me. Just go without me." We told him that the whole idea of this is a family vacation, and if he wasn't there, it wouldn't be our whole family.

Braden's been mostly under control. A few small outbursts here and there, but way better than he was. Soon we'll be starting that in-home-family therapy, so hopefully then things will be even better.

That's about all I have for now. I can't believe it's been this long since I posted. Time flies when you're flat on your back. Shut up Emma.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree with binx. thanks for the update. we after all, do care about you. :)

Roger said...

Yup, great to hear from you, Schell. You are often in our thoughts.

R

Bert Bananas said...

Who are you?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your back, Schell. Working with pain like that sucks.

UrbanStarGazer said...

Back pain sucks. That sounds awful. Good to hear things are a little calmer.